Tuesday 19 July 2011

Werewolves, Vampires and fantasy fiction...

Today’s discussion: Werewolves and Vampires....

We all know that Twilight started the huge vampire fiction craze, but what I'm wondering is how many of you are now interested in werewolves. Although a bit slower on the uptake, werewolves stories are starting to emerge. Here at the library the staff just had a small discussion about Teen Wolf, the new series on TV. While some of us watch it, none of us can actually think of any stories or books out at the moment on werewolves... apart from the 'wolves' in Twilight.

Are we about to see an emergence of the werewolf story? If so would you read it? I often think about trends in literature and what may be about to come next.... Crazy adult fairies, good versus evil angels, or what about killer machines like terminator and transformers? The possibilities I guess are always going to be endless, but why not try and have a guess, its lots of fun to come up with crazy new character types.

Finally, I'd also like to pop in a few sentences about a recent edition of Jennifer Byrne Presents. Did anyone watch last weeks show on Fantasy fiction? It was an interesting discussion talking about the stigma around fantasy fiction. Most people say they hate it... like me, without actually realising they have read it, and in most cases they have truly enjoyed it... I was truly dumbfounded as I always believed myself to be a fantasy hater.... but hello! I enjoyed Twilight, Harry Potter and The Time Traveler's Wife... as a result... guess what....
I THINK I LOVE FANTASY!

Happy Reading,

Amanda
Collections

No comments: