Wednesday 20 February 2013

The Perks of being a what? a what? a Wallflower?

So I just finished 'The perks of being a wallflower' and I have to admit that I didn't really get it.. People have been talking about, its apparently the new 'it' book, and up until page 175 (the library copy has 213 pages in total) I can honestly say 'I really didn't get it'.
I mean does this kid have some sort of mental disorder? What 15/16 year old kid talks like this? Why is it written as letters? And who the heck is 'Friend'?
All I can say is you find out some of the answers to the above, and some you don't get to find at all.
I think after page 175 it really kicked in who this kid might be and why people have loved it. Its raw, it’s sometimes funny, sometimes sad, and almost always filled with cringe-worthy moments, like smoking weed and some vivid sex scenes (not exactly for the younger teens).
Would I recommend it... I'm still not sure, how weird is that to say after you've finished book? Its just I think it’s not a book for everyone and I'm still not sure I can say I liked it... strange! Maybe it's just one of things you can't say you loved or loathed; you just read it and possibly learnt something.
According to a good friend of mine the movie is amazing (one of the best he has seen recently - and he watches quite a few movies)... so there you go...
Really I'm starting to feel like this post is a post about nothing...maybe my post is being a wallflower?
The Perks of Being a Wallflower (by Stephen Chbosky) - read it or don't.
Available at all good libraries - Including Griffith City
AM



No comments: